Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Thrifting

Okay, I admit it, I stop in at various Thrift stores around my area and check out what's available. There's always a good selection of different things, from great kitchen items, to clothing, to really good books and then occasionally you find something in the sewing and stitching realm. I've been lucky several times to find something unique, antique, or just plain usable.

Just plain usable comes in all sizes: buttons, patterns, zippers, various sewing notions and sometimes some good fabric. I've found all of it and used it. The prices are unbeatable, too. Who's not to like that?

I found a really neat, vintage (I won't say old 'cause this probably was on the market when I was in high school) pattern marking device by Singer. It's called a Tack-It Pattern Marker and originally sold for $4.95 way back when. It marks both layers of fabric at once and came with the original wax marking sheets. I threw out the sheets (the old wax marks do not come out of fabric) and substituted Saral brand transfer paper that can be found at big box hobby and fabric stores. I tried it on a dress that I was making and it was much easier to mark the darts. The bottom of it has felt so it won't scratch the table surface. A great find for $1.98!

Like most sewists, I enjoy scissors and have many pairs. So when I walked into
one of my favorite thrift stores I perused the glass cases only to find these gold shears. "Made by Richards of Sheffield England" is engraved on one side of the handle and "Radiant Golden Age Rustless" is on the other side. What an unusual find and at only $2.98, a steal!


Another found item is this double, folding sleeve board for pressing sleeves, doll dresses and other items. I think I paid $2.98 for it. The covering was in bad shape so I removed all of it (which I would have anyway) and the underlying padding, taking it down to the wood boards then used the old covers as a pattern. I cut new ones out of a cute sewing-themed quilting fabric (a freebie at a local store) and cut the padding out of several layers of cotton batting. I stitched a casing around the covers and used cotton string in the casings to pull up the covers to fit. All of these supplies were in my stash so my "new" double, folding sleeve board cost me very little.

My best sewing find to date was this little beauty..... I was standing in line at the local CHKD (Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters) Thrift Store in Hampton, VA waiting to check out and noticed the bentwood case on the counter and the decal said "Singer". My heart jumped a few beats and I looked inside the case and my mouth dropped open.

This sewing machine was in good shape, the decals were very nice and best of all, the original booklet and several different types of feet were in the box of the case (which also fit my Featherweight). There was an old sticker on it from a sewing machine service center so I knew it probably worked. The case was in good shape but needs some touch up. I had all of the supplies from my Featherweight overhaul to oil, lubricate and polish the machine. The price was $99.98....but the CHKD Thrift store runs a coupon special every Tuesday of 25% off everything in the store if you sign up for the coupon on your cell phone. Guess what...it was Tuesday and I was able to purchase this lovely little 1951 Electric 99K Singer Sewing Machine (made in Britain no less) for $75.00 plus tax.

I love thrifting....you never know what you will find!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!