Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Long Distance Fitting Challenges

I enjoy making clothes for my grandchildren, especially for special occasions. They really enjoy and appreciate them, which of course, makes me smile. And their parents very much appreciate the effort and time it takes to make these outfits. But they live several states away and it's not always easy to figure out what size pattern to choose and if alterations are in order. And don't forget how fast they grow. That adds a whole new dimension to the process! How do I do it from such a distance?

First I decide what I want to make for them. For the girls it's usually dresses, although I have made all sorts of garments for them. I look for a pattern that suits their ages. They both think they are growing up now so the classic Smocked Bishop is no longer an option. So I have to find something that's a little grown up and yet appropriate for their age, and something that has some "grow room" in it. I also have to allow for the fact that since I'm so far away I will have to choose a pattern that's not too form fitting. The one I chose for them for this Easter (Children's Corner "Emily") has a sash tie at the back so they can "take it in" to adjust the width. Of course, the pattern will dictate the style and type of fabric, too. My next step was to email my daughter-in-law and ask her to take specific measurements: chest, waist and hip circumference. Also length from the back of the neck to where she wanted the hem to end, and upper arm circumference. Two other important measurements are the neck circumference and the length from the neck to the shoulder point for a set-in sleeve.

The next step, after receiving the measurements via email, was to compare these with the actual pattern measurements. Both of the girls are tall and thin for their ages. The older one is wearing some size 10 commercial garments but I used a size 8 pattern and lengthened the bodice and then added more length to the skirt of the dress. See the photograph below and notice the piece of tissue paper inserted into the front and back bodice patterns? I added the additional length between the armscye and the bodice bottom at the same place on both pattern pieces...not at the bottom of the pattern piece. The reason is it would change the shape and width of the bottom if I just tacked on length.
You will also see that I altered the neckline to make it higher in order to accommodate the smocked collar since this pattern has a slightly lowered neckline (see my post "An Easter Dress").

This photo is the bodice front with the two necklines: the higher one above that I drew on using another Children's Corner pattern and the lower one which is the Emily pattern neckline.

This is the bodice back neckline showing both of the necklines, the altered higher one is at the top.




The younger granddaughter was pretty much a size 7 but I used the size 8 Emily and just refolded the amount added to the original pattern lines and cut at the original neckline. And I didn't add any extra length at the hem.
And look at the results! The dresses aren't too over-the-top so they will get a lot of use out of them and enjoy grandma's work for quite a while. This is the dress with the higher neckline and added length in pale pink.
This dress is the original Emily with her favorite color in it: yellow....perfect for Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susie, Good information when sewing for little ones who are not near enough to fit.

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!